How to be Grateful for Anything (like Canned Tuna)


How can one be grateful for unimpressive things like a can of tuna? In Winnie the Pooh, Eeyore -- the chillest citizen of the Hundred Acre Woods -- has a birthday party. Pooh and Piglet brought gifts: a jar of honey and a birthday balloon, respectively. Unfortunately on the way to the party, all the honey in the jar was eaten and the balloon was punctured. So Eeyore received an empty jar and a deflated balloon as gifts. However, instead of sulking over lackluster presents, Eeyore is delighted to be the proud new owner of a useful pot and an object which he can store in said useful pot. 

On the other hand, I take many things for granted from the bath towels that keep me warm and dry to the rain that washes piss off the sidewalks. Gratitude comes from one's mindset, not from the object of affection. If I expected a gourmet breakfast buffet at the Ritz-Carlson, but only had a can of tuna, I'd be very disappointed. I could choose to focus on the fishy chalkiness of the tuna and yearn for a fluffy omelette. However, if I expected a stale biscuit for breakfast and instead had a can of tuna, I'd be over the moon. In short, gratefulness comes from a lack of expectations.

My newfound gratitude for canned tuna comes from letting go of expectations for an extravagant breakfast everyday. If I don't focus on what I can't have and deal with what's available to me, I can see the underlying positives of canned tuna: 

Canned tuna is a convenient breakfast. It stores in your pantry for years and is a good source of protein. With its niffy pop tab, you can access the fish without spinning a can opener for ten years. This canned fish can be upgraded with some mayo, celery, and sliced grapes; or, my personal favorite, peanut butter and Thai sweet chili sauce. If eaten straight out of the can, you don't even have to wash any dishes afterwards!

If you can convince your mind to be grateful for mundane things like canned tuna, your surroundings would seem more magnificent. 

 

Canned tuna looking tastier than it should.

Want to read more?

Subscribe to Thursday Reflections: the Newsletter

More Reading:

How to Adopt the Philosophy of Water

I would argue water is the best element out of all the elements available in the Pokédex because water is infinitely adaptable and it embodies the human experience more than fire, wind, or earth. One that adopts the philosophy of water will be... (Read More)



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

How to Adopt the Philosophy of Water

How to Use a Pocket Notebook: Snapshot Journaling

Animal Crossing and the Importance of the Simple Life